Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Day 7 - Family Vacations

 From the time I was 6 years old, I remember family vacations.  They always seemed to have to do with going somewhere for a purpose but that's okay.  I recall going to Utah when I was six.  We went to be sealed as a family in the Logan temple. 
On this vacation we went to southern Utah and visited Bryce Canyon.  I recall the red rocks.  Going back only last year, it was just as I remembered. 
 We also went to the Grand Canyon and the Petrified Forest.  I think in Arizona.  It was a long trip and we slept in the car a lot.  Or it seemed to a little girl.
Now with my own family we have taken trips to Utah, Washington D.C., Niagara Falls, Palmyra, Nauvoo (many, many times).  Now we go to Nauvoo with the entire family when possible.
 We were there last October just a few months after Andrew returned from his mission. 
 We toured the new stage for the Nauvoo pageant with our own twist on the old City of Joseph pageant.  Those were special days.  It was hard work in the hot sun but so worth the experience.  I believe it was instrumental in forming our children's testimonies of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
We went one time to Wisconsin Dells to a water park.  Lines and more lines to get on the biggest thrill rides.  Little ones made that difficult.  Free tickets were the reason for the trip.  We've also done the local indoor water parks which were much more fun and much smaller crowds.
Trips to Utah for weddings.  This was especially meaningful while some of our children lived in the West.  It still is.
 Again, Nauvoo is just a great place for us to be together and bond.
 You never know what you will encounter while on vacation.  This kid is wearing a pull-up but clearly didn't want to get it wet.  He made the sidewalk wet instead.
 We definitely have our favorite places to visit when on vacation along with favorite activities.
I can never fully explain how much I enjoy being with my family whether it be touring some site or just plain camping.  It is such a special time just being together and experiencing new things and places.  We've camped just to camp but we've also camped while vacationing.  It's the cheapest way to go and we all work together to set up and take down.  
These days most of our vacationing is done with just Pat and myself and those times are wonderful too.  But when we have the chance, we coordinate so all of us can be together!

No comments: