Sunday, November 5, 2017

Day 4 - Callings

Today I'm grateful for church callings and responsibilities.  I've had the opportunity to work in the Young Women, Primary and Relief Society organizations.  There were definite highs and lows in all of those callings.  I loved my time in Young Women as I was young myself and enjoyed being with the girls.  I loved teaching them and playing with them.  I wasn't always crazy about the drama and other issues of worthiness.  Those were times for growth. 

Primary was such a time of learning how to listen to the Spirit.  The children are so important to our Heavenly Father that he gave me things at times before I even asked.  I loved received inspiration but some children were tough to handle and those experiences were for my growth.  I learned that I could love all children. 

Relief Society happened a few times.  The first time was with Gene and Linda and it was a time for growth for me.  A time to know the sisters and love them.  I was a teacher for three years.  I loved that and I was able to hone my skills as a teacher which would definitely come in handy for my future.  When I was called to be the RS president, I was overwhelmed to the point that I cried just knowing it was coming.  I really came to love the sisters of our ward.  I believe I brought some unity to our sisters.

I had the opportunity to work in the Activities committee as well as be a stake missionary.  I was also the Teacher Development teacher a few times. 

For eight years I taught seminary.  This was a calling that I feared I wouldn't be good at.  I went into it whole-heartedly and I believe I was very successful.  I loved those youth!  I learned so much about the scriptures!  As much as I came to love the Book of Mormon I also came to love the stories of the Old Testament and of course learning of Christ's ministry was amazing.  I cannot even begin to calculate the knowledge I gained that will bless my life forever.

My husband served as a bishop and then as the stake president for 9+ years.  During his tenure I was able to rub shoulders with the visiting authorities.  It was always such a blessing to glean knowledge  from them and share experiences and testimonies.  I know that wasn't officially my calling but Pat surely couldn't have done it without me at his side. 
Now that he has been released and I am no longer a seminary teacher, we both have been called to serve as Area Temple and Family History Consultants.  The best part of this calling is that we are serving together.  We've been out speaking in the different units around the six stakes as well as doing training with the stake presidencies and high councilors.  We were able to teach about preserving memories in familysearch.org at a Family History conference in Shawano.  What a blessing! 

Callings are God's way for us to grow in the gospel.  I am ever grateful for His plan to help me become the person He knows I can become!

No comments: