Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Day 13 - Preserving

I am thankful for the knowledge and ability to preserve.  In the past I have canned applesauce, apple butter, jams, jellies, pickles, strawberries, apple juice, salsa and tomato juice.  These are always a bit of work but so worth it in the end.
We didn't have an apple harvest this year as the deer ate what few apples we had.  Pat contacted a farmer who has an orchard to ask about any windfall apples.  His name is Luke and he said we could come pick all we wanted of his honey crisp apples as they were not fit to sell.  We picked 13 containers full of apples.  We've been eating them as they are very tasty.  I processed 16 1/2 gallon jars of apple pie filling and another 21 jars of applesauce to store.  It's all very delicious and I'm grateful for my mother teaching me how to preserve.  These gems come in so handy in the middle of winter when they can be opened and taste fresh and I know exactly what is in them.

No comments: