Friday, November 3, 2017

Day 3 - Memories

Last October Elder Rasband gave a talk in General Conference about remembering.  This talk gave my husband a terrific idea.  His testimony began in our kitchen in about 1978.  Because he has such fond memories of that experience, he wanted to have his memory painted.  Mort McBain is a terrific artist.  Pat approached him and asked his if he would do this for him.  Mort agreed.  I racked my brain and looked through a ton of photos to find and remember what our kitchen looked like before it was remodeled.  This is pretty close.
At the moment the painting is hanging from some door handles in the kitchen until we decide where it's permanent placement will be.  Not all the detail is totally correct, but all the things in the painting belonged in the house or currently belong here.  
I LOVE it!  Every time I look or even glance at it, I am filled with these warm memories of my childhood and teenage years.  Heck, even my young adult and early married years.  There really isn't a way to explain those feelings.
Then I think about all the talks I've been giving in the various units (I'll be thankful for that another day) about preserving memories; specifically photos, thank you notes, cards, letters, stories, etc.  I can't begin to express how my heart has clung to these memories and the importance of preserving them.  So today and everyday I am thankful for memories!

No comments: