Sunday, May 10, 2020

Wallpaper

I've had the privilege to work in the four new historic homes that are being renovated here in Nauvoo.  Three were under construction when I arrived 11 months ago and the other sprang out of the ground last fall.  All of them should be finished in about a month.  I've painted walls, sanded word work both before and after installation.  I also cleaned.
Last week the wallpaper went up in these homes and here it is.
I was a little taken aback as I walked into the Edward Hunter home and saw the above pattern as well as the one below.  I don't mind the pattern of this one, but it surely doesn't go with the border.  I'm told the gentlemen installing it called Salt Lake to ask if they sent the right stuff.  Apparently it isn't supposed to match.
This one would NEVER find it's way into my home.  First of all, I'm not a big fan of purple and secondly, it is just way too out there for my taste.  But, the redeeming quality of this one is that the border, which Jared thinks is all wrong, helped to bring out the faux graining we did on the wood.
In the Orson Hyde home the paper runs up the staircase and through a hallway to the broom closet which most people will never go through.  At least they shouldn't.  The wallpaperers said it is very fragile and just someone brushing against it inadvertently could tear it.  Why are we using such "period correct" quality in a tourist attraction?
My favorite is in the William Weeks home.  I think our wood work pops out and becomes a focal point.  I don't know if that will still be the case once the place is staged.
Sister Howard and I worked on this fireplace mantle to take off layers of paint in order to find the original finish.  I only worked on it for part of a week.  She worked on it for weeks.  When all was said and done, Jared sanded it down, sealed it and then painted over it.  In the end he will faux marble it to try and match the one in the other room.  Unfortunately, the marble color will clash with this paper.
Finally the Gheen parlor.  Although this paper and border match, it is a bit too busy for me.  But with the papers installed, the floors are next to be finished.  Jared worked feverishly to get the touch up paint finished before the wood floors have some type of finish put on them.
I look forward to the finished product and finally having a tour of them.  I will know what I did to help restore and beautify each one.  I love what I'm doing!

No comments: