Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mother's Day

On this Mother's Day I am sitting in Village Inn #9 on Parley Street in Nauvoo.  I am a full time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints.  I love what I'm doing!
Last July we were able to be part of Nauvoo on the Road.  This photo was taken at the Davis County Fair in Iowa.  
This morning I received a text from my daughter in law, Cierra.  I love that she shares her talent with me.  
As I thought about past Mother's Days, I remember the first time this day came after I lost my own mother.  A very well-meaning member of the Sunday School or Bishopric told us to go home and call our mothers and tell them how much we love them.  My thought was, "That's easy for you to say.  You still have your mother.  What about those of us whose moms have left this earth?"  I was angry and hurt.  I went home and cried my eyes out.  My heart was still so raw and tender.  I despised Mother's Day for years after that.  Fortunately, I have grown and healed since then.  
So today I can give thanks for a mother who was not easy on me but I'm glad I had her as she helped me become the person I am.  I'm grateful for the five amazing people who call me mom.  I'm grateful for the seven littles (almost eight) who call me Nana and call my daughters mom.  Life is wonderful if we look for the wonders within it!

No comments: