Sunday, May 31, 2020

Sabbath Morning Walks

This morning's temperature was in the mid 60s.  I knew it would be a good day for a walk when I went to bed last night.  
              
When I came upon the Browning Gun home/shop I noticed these heads peeking over the fence.  It was a really interesting look from a bit of a distance.
                                                  
Whatever they are, they are really interesting.  Such a tall stalk with this big, beautiful bloom on top.
                                                  
And such a brilliant color!
                               
Behind the house, there is a garden filled with flowers and vegetables.  I'm told we will be able to share in the bounty when things produce.  I'm just looking forward to seeing it when it is more full and abundant.
There is something special about the quietness of a Sabbath morning in old Nauvoo.  There is no one around and the place is still.  I find such peace in it.  Since we arrived, we have been leaving just after 8am to head out to Hannibal to go to church.  When the Stay at Home order was issued and church was cancelled, it was pretty cool to go out for a walk.  But now it is perfect.
I imagine the bustle of everyday life back in the 1840's when this was a large city.  There's a sacred feeling here and I know that I take that for granted.  So on these quiet mornings when all is still and quiet, I find great joy in walking these grounds.  I loved seeing the sun shining on the Riser Boot Shop this morning.
There is fencing around so many of the homes.  I imagine there were flowers planted there as there are now.
There was an abundance of wildlife this morning as well.  I saw squirrels, birds, rabbits and this one deer.  Although I heard others in the thick of the trees on my way back home.
Fencing went up yesterday around some of the new temple district homes.  This is in front of the William and Esther Gheen home.  The pickets are flat on this fence.
Nearby on the Orson Hyde fence, the pickets are round.  I like these better.  Or at least I like the look better.  I have such a myriad of emotions as I gaze upon these homes.  I think of the work that I've been able to perform both on the interior and exterior.  I played such a small part but still my sacrifice is acceptable.
                             
Then I walked past the pageant stage and had very bittersweet feelings.  I love the pageant and I'm so grateful for the opportunity we had last year to be in it and help with security.  I feel bad for all those missionaries who came last fall and will not get the chance to do either of those things.  
Another view of the stage from across the field.  Everything is so green and lush and beautiful right now.  I cannot express in words how I really feel about this place.  So many memories.  Both from years ago and those from the last year are so dear to my heart.  Then there are the memories of our children being married in this place.  A sacred place where those eternal families began.  I feel so blessed to be able to serve a mission here and to serve an FM mission at that.  If we were site missionaries we would be home right now with no chance of coming back to finish.  Life is grand!

No comments: