Thursday, January 2, 2020

Heber C Kimball

This is the home of Heber C. Kimball.  The porch was pretty rotten and the concrete apron was not period correct, so Elders Howard, Schmidt and Pleshek were tasked with tearing things apart and getting ready to replace.  That was back in October, I think.  The porch was the big thing.  Was it original?  Well, turns out it was so then Salt Lake Historical department gets crazy and things went to a stand still.  It was supposed to be closed for about a month.  It opened up on December 23rd.
Since it was going to be closed for a month, the paint crew, of which is now my newest assignment, went in to sand the paint off of the walls and ceiling to remove the roller marks.  Paint rollers weren't invented yet so we needed to remove those marks and replace them with brush strokes.
Sisters Howard and Odum were the only two on the paint crew doing this and since I didn't really have anything to do with my husband, I volunteered to help them.  I've been with them since!
We wore eye protection as well as masks as to not breathe too much of that stuff into our lungs.  Two of us would sand with the electric hand sanders and the third would vacuum as we went.  We spent a couple of days doing this.
As dirty and noisy as this job was, we really had a good time being together.  I love working with these two.  Heck, I've loved working with everyone I've had the chance to work with!
I had to cover for Sister Jones in the office one day and Sister Howard got put to work sanding the wanes coating.  She said it was horrible, sticky paint dust that made her feel slimy in the shower.  She washed her hair several times to get the goo out!
Here's Elder Mensel doing something I can't determine.  Elder Flanders is behind him doing something else I can't see.  They are great to work with.  I enjoy them so much.  Elder Flanders is actually a teamster, but since there is only a need for nine teamsters over the off season and we have 15, he volunteered to work with us rather than sit in sites and wait for someone to show up.
We made a pretty big mess, but in the end, after the painting and Sister Odum polishing the floors, it is once again beautiful with all the brush strokes visible in the paint!

No comments: