Saturday, January 4, 2020

Elder Meyocks

When we first got to the Nauvoo Mission, there were so many missionaries here that it made my head spin and I only knew two...the Bailies whom we met in the MTC the week before.  So many of them were young sisters and I can honestly say, I only really knew a handful before they started going home and outbound.  
We got to know the FM missionaries pretty quickly as we were with them every day.  Slowly, we got to know the site missionaries and teamsters.  Still, there are many that I really don't know at all.  Being in Sunset By the Mississippi was the best way to get to know the others.
Teamsters are probably the missionaries I know the least except for the ones in our zone and district and those with whom I associated with while I was the FM secretary.
These are the Meyocks.  Pronounced Meeks.  They are teamsters.
This is Elder Meyocks.  He grew up in Iowa but spent the last 10 years in southern Utah.  He and his wife sold their home prior to coming out here to serve.  He went to Cedar Rapids area on Christmas to visit his mother.  On their way back, they were in an automobile accident.  Both of them were taken to the University of Iowa hospital in Iowa City, the best hospital in the state.
He was doing well except for some discomfort in his left chest.  Tests showed no cardiac problems so it was decided that it must be bruising from the seat belt.  The next morning he went into cardiac arrest.  Despite all the modern medical know how, they were unable to restart his heart and he left this life.
Today was his funeral here in Nauvoo.  The teamsters paid tribute to him one last time by walking beside the horse-drawn wagon as they took the casket to the parking lot at the Visitor's Center from the stake center.
From what I can discern, the teamsters are a pretty close bunch of individuals.  It makes sense.  They all have this love of horses and they are the only ones taking care of the animals.
One last photo with them leaving a spot for their fallen brother.
We didn't attend the funeral since we didn't know him, but it still affected many of the missionaries.  What a way for President Lusvardi to end his mission.  Speaking at the funeral of one of his missionaries.  Sister Meyocks would like to finish the mission.  She'll need time to heal from her injuries before coming back here.  She will also need a new companion.  Single senior sisters do not serve here anymore, so this will be interesting.
I understand she has no where else to go and she wants to finish what she's begun, but I surely would not care to have a new companion especially while I'm mourning the loss of my husband.  I wish her the best.

No comments: