Sunday, August 9, 2020

Des Moines Rapids

We took a drive to Bonaparte.  We had been there a month ago but wanted to see what we didn't see then.
This is the Des Moines Rapids.  It is the place where some of the early saints crossed this river.
I'm a bit amazed that these signs exist.
There is a plaque on the side of the road showing the route.
When I look at all those states that were crossed, I'm again amazed at the fortitude of these people.  Their testimonies had to burn bright in order for them to go through such hardships.
I think about how cold they must have been traveling/sleeping outside.  Many without the proper clothing for such a journey.  My feet get cold wearing my winter boots!  Then the mud!  It took so long to get through Iowa.
When I read the excerpts of the journals and the other things written about these people, I see the hand of God in it.  If things had been easy, they would have gotten to Utah and there would have been no time to plant and reap a crop of anything.  They would have starved!
When things in my life don't go the way I expect, I look for the hand of the Lord and ultimately I find it.  It doesn't mean I always like how things happened, but I can find the blessings in it.

No comments: