Sunday, August 2, 2020

Abraham Lincoln Museum

A trip to Springfield, Illinois to tour the Abraham Lincoln Museum.  I know I will not convey the emotions I had during the day as I try to explain the photos and experience.
Outside the museum a giant Abe greets us.  He appears to be talking to someone from our day.
Once inside, after we had our temperatures taken and my camera bag searched, the Lincoln family greeted us.  Only three of their four sons were here as one of them died when he was only two.
Tom decided he could be the fourth son.  With Covid 19 we were required to wear our masks.
The first thing we did was to watch two movies?  I can't say they were movies as the first one called Ghosts was in the Holotheater, meaning we were greeted by a hologram and many more during it.  The second was very similar except this time when there was gunshots we felt it in our seats and saw the smoke from the cannon fire.  It was as exceptional as the first!  Both films evoked emotion from me.
Once leaving the second film we went to the "Cabin" where we learned of the early life of Abe Lincoln.  He was born in Kentucky and his mother passed away while he was quite young.

He worked hard as all people did back them but also taught himself to read.

He would often be found reading by the dying embers of the firelight.  It was fun to see the glow of the "fire" and hear the snoring of the people sleeping.
The depiction of slavery and the breaking apart of families and/or loved ones.  As I read some of the plaques and listened to voices of those who wanted an end to slavery, my mind could not comprehend that slave owners didn't think that slaves were people.  They were property like a house or land or a horse.  It hurt my heart to think that there are still people out there that think of others in that way.
Shackles used on slaves.
Lincoln had a couple of early loves in his life.  One was a woman whom he loved very much but she died and left him heartbroken.  Historians tell that his friends felt he may have felt suicidal over it.
He met another woman named Mary Owens.  He didn't feel settled about her but proposed anyway and she declined leaving an out for both of them.
He met Mary Todd at a dance.  They were drawn together as they both loved politics.  She was quite informed on the subjects of the day.
While Abe was a young lawyer he often took his young sons to the office with him.  They were awful little imps who made a mess.  There was ink on the walls and papers scattered everywhere.  I think his partners would have not been very happy.  The plaque on the wall stated that he overlooked the faults of his children.
His debate while running for president before his first term in office.  
Upon entering the "White House" we are greeted by Mrs. Lincoln.  The Washington society was not very accepting of her and didn't appreciate her one bit.
Some of the dresses worn by other women were beautiful.
And some were a bit over the top for my taste.  This red part of this one is velvet.  I'll bet it was very hot and heavy!
Before entering this room there was a wall filled with political cartoons lampooning the president elect and later President Lincoln.  As I looked upon these and read some of them, a great heaviness fell upon me.  People can be so cruel.  I couldn't stay there.  I had to get out.  Then I entered this room where his cabinet was in argument.  When I left this room there were so many voices from holograms shouting and ranting about the Emancipation Proclamation.  It went too far!  It didn't go far enough!  It was impressed upon me how he must have felt very lonely at times.
One evening the Lincolns were hosting a gala at the White House and their little son was very ill.  They each left the party several times to go check on him.  The party lasted until almost dawn.  Their little son passed away a few days later.  Both parents mourned in their own way.  Mary never again went into that bedroom and Abe would go every there to be alone and mourn.  He did know tragedy in his life!  This was the second son to die along with his mother when he was young and the first love of his life.
The portrait shows the day of his second inaugural address.  There was a lot of mud in the streets and people were lined up everywhere in the rain.  Just as he came out to speak, the clouds parted and the sun shone down on him while he spoke.
As I reached the hallway where this sign is found, I didn't want to go in.  It was if I could change what happened if I never entered.  I did enter and found the following.
John Wilkes Booth was a man with an agenda.  He was so opposed to the freeing of the slaves that he was determined he must kill the president.
As the Lincolns sat in their box seats, Mr. Booth gained access to their box and timed his shooting just when there would be great laughter from the crowd.  He shot the president point blank in the back of the head and then jumped from the balcony.  He broke his leg when he landed.  I don't know how he got away, but he was arrested when it was found that a doctor set a broken leg.
I stared at this poster with disbelief.  How could this have happened?
I entered the room where the casket lie in state.  The room was very somber.
I shed a tear or two as I walked through this room.  It was as though this event had just happened.  
As I left the exhibit, I had a greater appreciation for this 16th president.  I knew about him in basic ways and knew how important he was in the freeing of the slaves.  I recognized that this man had a divine work to do and he accomplished it!  He was called of God to do exactly what he did.  
This is a "must-see" museum in my book.

No comments: