Sunday, May 23, 2021

Painting Projects

Since coming home in March and subsequently having the Fillmore family move into their own home, I decided I would paint a lot of our home.  We went to Menard's, Home Depot and Sherwin-Williams and I outfitted myself with a bucket full of painting supplies. 
I began in the bathroom by getting rid of the bright yellow sponge-painted walls above the chair rail.  I liked them back then as they matched the floor.  I had palm tree rugs and shower curtain and hooks.  I just needed a change.  
We had a bathtub with jets that no longer worked and so we purchased a new tub.  Behind the tub was this wallpaper.  I remember it from my childhood.  
I like the new paint color and I like the new flooring.  I also really like the wood painted white.
The ceiling tiles new to be replaced.  I painted the grid and then we installed the tiles.  Above the shower Pat installed this tile.  I like it!
Then it was time to paint Sammi and Jeff's new living room.  I was no a fan of the yellow ceiling at all!  Besides that, it matched the walls and the light fixtures are amber with amber lights which made everything very yellow.
The bright white ceiling and light blue walls are so refreshing. 
Next it was time for Erin's new room.  She decided to move into the East bedroom as there is more light and it is much larger.  Sammi painted this room twice.  
The first time it she painted it like this and then she later changed it to the yellow and aqua.
Erin chose this color.  It looks so much bigger with the lighter color.
Then the sad truth had to be faced.  It was time for the dinosaurs to go.  I spent so much time painting them on the wall when Andrew was just a kid.  He loved dinos but now this room was becoming my guest room so I needed it to be a little more classy.
Here is what it is after.  The yellow is just a hair lighter.  Not quite what the upper photo shows.  Then I changed things up and put the corner cabinet in there.  It looks so different.  It's a small room but large enough to sleep in.  
I moved Tom upstairs to Erin's old room which still needs to be painted or perhaps we will take out the lath and plaster and put in drywall.  I turned this downstairs bedroom into extra living space and a game room. 
I finally put up the pictures I wanted on the wall.  I used to have a collage on the kitchen wall but since the French doors into that room are kept open, I put it there.  
The living room didn't need anything except a white ceiling. 
There was a lot of cutting to do against the crown molding, but it turned out great!
Finally the kitchen.  I painted the ceiling white first and then used the same colors on the walls.  Since I already had that blue, I decided to use it again.  
 The only change here was the fact that instead of a semi-gloss, I used an eggshell finish.  There were a lot of spots to be filled and sanded and even more spots where I needed to spray on the Bin primer.  I'm hoping that the primer will take care of any nail or former grease spots from showing through in the future.  Next it's time to begin the bathroom and then the kitchen cabinets.  That will be a job that will equal all the others combined.  I've already spoken to Jared and got step by step instructions on how to pull it off.  Wish me luck!

No comments: