Sunday, May 23, 2021

Following a Prompting

 I cannot believe that I didn't write this experience down anywhere.  Not in my journal, not here on the blog or even on familysearch.  

Back in September 2019 while on our mission, I had just begun working in the office.  Previously I had been working grounds.  Therefore, Richard Hancock was our boss.  He and his wife were expecting their 4th child.  Maryanne was very tired and not doing very well.  The baby wasn't due until January so it was really going to be a long haul for them.  

One day while driving past their house I had a very strong prompting that I needed to make a meal for their family.  Richard came into my office that day and I told him of my experience and asked him when he wanted that meal.  He responded that tomorrow would be great.  Both Jordan and Trischa came out of their offices and commented on the conversation they had just heard.  They told me that Richard is very private and it wasn't like him to accept my service so readily.  He was coming home from work each day and taking over the responsibilities of cooking a meal for his family and caring for the children.  I'm sure that's why he accepted my offer so easily.  Besides, I didn't really give him a choice.  I told him I had a prompting and I was following it.

The next day I bought some disposable pans and made a dinner for the Hancock family.  I spent some time visiting with Maryanne which I think she really enjoyed.  A few days later I told my grounds sisters about my experience in following the Spirit and they decided they wanted to help too.  A plan was made and each of us made a meal for them once every week.

I was talking to the sisters in conservation about what we were doing and they wanted to get involved as well.  By the time December came, I didn't even get to bring a meal as all the days were filled.  It was such a marvelous thing to see how my one prompting turned into acts of service by many for this one family.  One of the sisters even went to tutor their son every week.  This was my first opportunity to see a Zion community in action on a long term basis.

I will always be grateful for that simple thought brought to me as I drove past the Hancock's home.  It changed lives!

No comments: