Sunday, July 19, 2020

Mantle Graining

I have a husband who is always thinking about what he could do with things to make a statement.  Last week, he was told to dispose of two mantles that had been sitting outside all winter, spring and up until now.  They had been taken our of the William Weeks addition.  The addition to that home has been removed and thus so were the mantles.  
Remember that photo of our yard art posted a little while back?  Well, this mantle needed to be faux grained so it can be a backdrop to the stone and geode piece.
Since I worked all winter with Jared and learned how to faux grain a piece of wood, I was commissioned by my companion to faux grain this mantle.  I know what to do and how to make it look great.  I felt a bit rushed as my sweetie would tell me it was just how he wanted it and not to touch it anymore. 
In the end, it looks alright considering it will be outdoors.  The grain is finished and not to my specifications, but it will do.  It still needs one more coat of a clear color and then some varnish or some other finish that will protect it.  We really will need a trailer to get all our stuff home!

No comments: