Friday, November 27, 2020

Upstairs Visitor’s Center

For many years the vinyl wall covering on the walls of the hallway in the upstairs of the Nauvoo Visitor's Center has needed re-gluing.  I did it myself in early summer.
One day we had several YSMs working with us and it was rainy outside so we took them to the VC and they peeled all the wall covering off in a matter of about half an hour.  It peeled quite easily.
It left really ugly walls.  
I got the job to sand the walls.  Fortunately I could use the Festool sander.
Jared and Sister Chestnut then skim coated the walls with a lightweight mud.  After it was dry I sanded it yet again.  I have learned that Jared makes a mess.  Every single day we worked there, I scrubbed mud off of the carpet.
At first I felt bad that Sister Chestnut was doing all that skimming while I sanded.  But then she tried the sanding and said it was too hard for her as the tool is heavy.  Then I didn't feel bad anymore.
We went back and painted the walls.  Jared wanted them rolled and then brushed so we could practice that technique.  Actually, it probably hid a lot of our flaws.
When all the painting was finished, I went back and washed the door frames and base boards.  Then finished with painting the sides of the door frames to hide the white paint that I couldn't remove.  
It looks wonderful!!!


No comments: