Saturday, November 19, 2011

Hunting and the Sabbath Day

This week in seminary we studied Moses leading the children of Israel out of Egypt.  What a bunch of whiners!  They had miracle upon miracle and deliverance more than once and still wanted to go back.  I'm sure they weren't all like that.  You know, the squeaky wheel theory.  Those are the ones that get heard. 
We learned about manna.  It "rained" from the sky after the morning dew was gone and it melted upon having the sun come out with it's heat.  It couldn't be stored from day to day as it got wormy and stank.  Yet, on the sixth day, the people were to gather enough for two days and it didn't go bad. 

This is evidence to me about how very important the Sabbath day is.  Even the Lord rests on the Sabbath day.  He thought it was important enough to make it one of the "Ten Commandments."  I think we are expected to put aside our daily lives and devote ourselves to the Lord.

This week in the newspaper there was a story about a local Pastor who was doing a special Thursday night worship service so that the hunters who will miss church on Sunday can have a "free pass."  We discussed this article in seminary as well.  How dare this man "change" the Sabbath!  I understand that he thinks it is better to get people in church any way he can rather than not having them there at all.  He even invited them to wear their blaze orange to his service as he would be wearing his blaze orange stole with a cross on it.

I, for one, love the Sabbath day.  I love the chance to worship and partake of the sacred emblems of the sacrament.  I love being with the wonderful people of the choir, going home or visiting teaching and preparing for Monday's seminary lesson. 

I don't pretend that I am perfect at keeping the Sabbath, but I'm so much better than I used to be and my children are way better at it than I was when I was a child.  I love the Lord and I feel it a privilege to serve Him.

No comments: