Thursday, August 25, 2022

Back to Iron Mountain

Last week Pat and I went to the U.P. to check on all of the church buildings.  He brought along the palm sander as he knew Iron Mountain's lettering would need some work.  
He was so right.  There was green stuff on some of the letters.  They weren't black like they were the first time I cleaned them, but they were very dirty as can be seen on the above photo.  I cleaned the S before I thought to take the photo.
I started sanding everything I could reach and then got a chair for those higher letters.  The sander battery died shortly after I began and thought I would have to finish by hand.  That was not working very well.  Pat found another sander for me to use.  The sandpaper didn't fit very well but I was able to do the job to my satisfaction.  
I suppose we'll have to go back and do it again in another couple of years.  On a side note, while we were in Nauvoo, we noticed how crusty those letters looked.  We had cleaned them 18 months earlier and they were pretty dingy already so you can imagine how bad the ones in Iron Mountain looked after several years.  I still have a fondness for making sure the name of the Savior's church looks good.

No comments: