Thursday, August 25, 2022

Office Facelift

When Selma "Ma" Hoffman died in 1989, her house was converted into the office for Hoffman Transit.  It was painted blue and given dark blue trim.  A few years ago it received a new metal roof and the dormer received new vinyl siding.  
Over the years the shrubs in front of the building became overgrown.  I know they were trimmed back at least once when Andrew worked there prior to his mission.
Brett decided he wanted it repainted.  I told him it was possible as I helped with the Hyde barn in Nauvoo and the siding was in approximately the same shape...rotten.  I put it off last year and so now I decided it was time.  I began the job of scaping.  Brock needed to earn a few dollars so I had him come over and help for a few hours.  
I was able to get a lot of the old paint off but it was going to be a very big job if it was just Erin and I scraping.  Once we got higher, it would just be one of us.
This photo shows just how ugly the siding is.  It's probably original to the house which makes it 100+ years old.
With the shrubbery removed the foundation was now exposed and although it isn't horrible to look at, it is capable of looking a lot better and more professional.
We trekked over to Tilleda and got the bucket truck.  Yea!  It runs!  I used the pressure washer to "scrape" the old paint off.  It worked beautifully!  After it was scraped, Pat sprayed some Kilz Kleer on it to seal up the paint that didn't come off.
The next step was putting plastic over the windows and then finally painting.  Pat reached a few spots that I couldn't.  It was a challenge to keep the paint off of the green metal roofing.
Then the job of painting the window and door frames began.  We had enough paint to spray the foundation as well.
Just getting the paint on and the foundation painted made a huge difference.
Once all the trim work was painted it looked like a whole new place.  I know the shrubbery will grow back.  It just needs to be kept in check.
Lastly, a new door has been installed and new steps brought in.  But, Brett wants one thing more.  An awning. It has been ordered and will go up when it arrives.
Now to tackle the interior!

No comments: