Thursday, August 18, 2022

Holocaust Museum

Getting tickets to go to the Holocaust Museum needs to be done months ahead of time or at 7am the day of.  We didn't get any the first day but there were many more available on Tuesday.
What a powerful place!  I cannot even describe the feelings I had as we stepped off of the elevator and were greeted with a photo very much like the one below.
I will never understand how anyone could do this to a group of people.
I will never understand how people can be treated like animals.
I will never understand why these people were transported in train cars and left to die.
Photos of victims.
This quote was above the pile of shoes below.

These walls were filled with photos of people whose voices have not been silenced.
This wall was two stories high!
There was an Ipad there and you could face it to a photo and it would tell the story of that person.
So much brutality.  The German people and military were led slowly and carefully to this point by a vicious dictator.
Amid all the destructiveness, there is a wall of photos with stories much like this one that tells how people saved others at the risk of their own lives.  So many good people.
Then there was this little boat that was used to smuggle people out.
Faces of innocent victims.
People being loaded into rail cars just to be taken to be killed or starved.
The actual doors used on the furnaces where so many bodies were disposed of.  
Everyone should have the opportunity to witness this place. As I thought about those whose lives meant nothing to the Nazi's, I know that if I lived then and there that Tom would've been left to die or outright killed as he is not perfect.  That fact brought things home for me.  
 

No comments: