Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Just Love Them

 I spent some time recently with a friend who has some adult children who have not embraced the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I believe they are good parents although I didn't grow up in their home so I can't say exactly what kind of parents they are.  I do know that they serve faithfully in their church callings.

Sometimes I think of others who are dedicated disciples of Christ and some of their children have chosen to embrace it while others in the same family do not.  What makes the difference?  Friends?  Choices?  Certainly not the parenting style since all were raised by the same two people.

This wise friend told me that it is not her responsibility to "save" her children.  That can only be done by Jesus Christ.  Her job, and her husband's, is to love them.  At times I have thought about trying to "save" someone I love from themselves or their unwise choices.  My job is to love them no matter what they choose. 

Talking with one of my children tonight, I expressed how grateful I am for the atonement of our Savior.  I've certainly made my share of dumb mistakes.  How indebted I am to Him who took my sins upon Himself so that He could save me.  Literally save me.  

Sister Stapley gave a talk a year ago while we were in Nauvoo.  She explained why Jesus chose sheep rather than goats as his disciples.  Sheep stay close to the flock and hear the voice of the Shepherd.  Goats are wanderers and get into trouble easier; they don't necessarily listen.  I will admit that at times in my life I have been that goat but I much prefer to be a sheep.

No comments: