Sunday, April 26, 2020

Faux Wood Grain

For a large part of this quarantine, I have been working with Jared in faux graining the woodwork in some of the new homes in the temple district.  Jared is the employee who is the painter for the FM group.  He and I worked in the William Weeks home and now we are finishing in the Edward Hunter home.
Last week I went upstairs to do some clean up and take a trash receptacle to those who work up there.  Elder Flanders told me to go up into the attic and take a look out of the window facing the east.  These are the shots I took. 
The really odd thing about this home is that this window is in the attic where no one will look out of it to see the temple.  Yet on the upstairs level of the home there are many windows facing north, south and west.  Not a single one faces the east.
Here's a sample of one of the doors that Jared and I grained.  I found a flaw in it and when I pointed it out he wasn't happy, but said, "If this was for the temple we would redo it.  But since it isn't, we can leave it."  He talks about apartment quality as opposed to museum quality.  We are working on museum quality.  It has been an education and I've especially feel blessed to be working under the tutelage of a painter who knows his historic quality.  Can you find the flaw?

No comments: