Monday, April 20, 2020

Blessings Amid Quarantine

I believe we are now in our fifth, or maybe sixth, week of  our quarantine where we are not allowed to work with those who are not our companions or work out in the open as we are under a "Safer at Home" order.  We are trying to be obedient to the laws of the land so we are doing what we can.  Fortunately, the new temple district homes are considered essential as well as the grounds.  I was told that I could work with Jared if he needed my help.  

Jared was home sick for a week so I haven't worked with him the entire time.  I worked the first two weeks with my husband moving, cleaning, painting and organizing our new home and cleaning the old one.  Then we spent days ripping up carpeting and vinyl flooring in another apartment.  He's busy doing other jobs around our new place making it wonderful.

I look around and see all the things we cannot do.  We cannot go to church in Hannibal.  We cannot get together for our weekly training.  We cannot get together with others to have dinner or play games or anything else.  We can't play pickleball anymore.  We wear masks anytime we are near others or go out to get some groceries.  We try not to go anywhere we don't have to.  All the sites are closed which means there are no visitors.  Our family who had plans to come visit are unable to come.  There is question on whether or not there will be a normal summer season here with shows and pageants.

But, as I take a closer look, I can see so many things that I consider blessings.  I am still here while so many other missionaries were sent home.  We are able to meet for weekly training via Zoom.  While we aren't in the same location but we are together.  We have a "social" time via Zoom as well on Friday nights.  We have Sunday worship services together via Zoom.  We are able to have the sacrament each week until we are allowed to go back to church.  The daffodils, hyacinths and tulips are blooming beautifully!  I'm able to go to work every day and create something beautiful with Jared in the Weeks and Hunter homes.  Best of all, I get to be with my best friend and companion.  My sweetheart.

We are still able to Facetime with our children and grandchildren.  We are able to talk and see them daily if we choose to.  We have enough to eat.  Our bed is comfortable.  We have all the comforts we desire.  There is wonderful wildlife in our yard.  Deer, birds, squirrels and even raccoons.  We were sent the words and music for Sunset By the Mississippi.  That's a definite positive.  Will there be a usual summer?  I don't know.  I do know that whatever happens, I will remain happy and upbeat.  I do look forward to visitors and being able to sit next to friends at meetings.  I look forward to getting together with others and enjoying being together.

This quarantine will end.  God is in control.  I pray for an end to this but know it will be in His time.


No comments: