Saturday, April 11, 2020

Faux Painting

I have been working all week with Jared in the William Weeks house.  He is charged with faux painting the woodwork including the doors and window frames.  Apparently this was the fashion in the 1840's.  I don't understand covering up real wood with fake wood painting.
I've learned that faux painting is not about putting the paint on.  It is all about removing the paint. 
Once the faux grain is on and dry, a second coat of colored sealer goes over the top to give it a little more texture.  The above door is the front entry door to the Weeks home.
I feel like the nurse handing instruments to the doctor as I help Jared.  He had me do the prep work and then he goes to work.  The paint is a thin coat so it dries very quickly.  Therefore, Jared needs to work very quickly.  It helps that I can hand him the tools that he needs.  While working on this door, I painted and then put the faux on the side of the above door.  Not as straight as it could be but it's the edge so it isn't that important.
Then on Wednesday, Jared told me that I was going to do some painting.  I told him I didn't need to but he insisted.  The top panel of the above door is mine!  I think it turned out really great! 
This is another finished door.  It is the interior door that will be placed between the two rooms.  We had to do both sides of this door.  It has been an absolute pleasure to work with Jared on this project.  I'm grateful that I could help him this week while he has not been 100% feeling great.  I look forward to seeing this home finished!

No comments: