Monday, October 15, 2012

A Treasured Friend

On Saturday my friend, Sue passed from this life to the next.  She was only 55.  Last December she was told that she had approximately six months to live.  Well, that doctor didn't know Sue!  She was on month number 11.  She is a loving, caring, compassionate, giving, tender-hearted woman who will always remain in my heart. 

We met many years ago when she moved to this area and married a local man.  I was her visiting teacher when the two of us had small children and that was the beginning of our friendship.  It didn't matter that she moved away for ten years and we had no contact.  When she came back, we picked up right where we left off.  We talked about important things and we laughed together.  I think she and I were visiting teachers to one another or companions with one another on and off for probably 10 years.  I love this woman!

She never talked about herself.  Rather she would ask how you and your family were or about some other life events or community happenings.  She was a master at deflecting the attention on others.  She loved her children fiercely and maybe at times was guilty of aiding them too much.  Who among us isn't guilty of that?  When I would ask how the pain was she would simply say that it was there and then change the subject. 

I know this incredible woman had a difficult time in her growing up years.  I also know she lived on a very meager income for most of her adult life.  She always made it. 

When she came back to this area to live in 2004, she also made her way back to the gospel of Jesus Christ.  She was converted to the gospel and did her best to live it.  She gained a strong testimony and I think, finally about a year ago, came to understand that she was loved by many as well as the knowledge that she is a daughter of God and he loves her completely. 

Today I had the privilge of dressing her for the final time.  I am always amazed at the miracle that takes place when I have that honor.  At first, the body is just a corpse.  When we were finished I turned to look at her beautiful face and she appeared to be smiling.  I mentioned it to Clare and Gene and they both agreed.

Thank you my friend for allowing me the privilege to be a part of your life.  I'm at peace knowing that you no longer have to be in pain and you can move freely.  You are able to see many of your loved ones who have already passed on.  I know you are happy and at peace.  Until we meet again...

2 comments:

Nicky Kaye said...

Thank you for the post dear Heidi...Sue really was such a wonderful woman and such a great blessing of a friend. I am glad you have the memories to brighten your day and bring peace and happiness to your life.

WHITNEY JO said...

i really loved sue :) you described her to a "T"