Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Tradition Continues

 
 When I was in high school way back when, I loved track and field.  I was a high jumper and was good at it.  I qualified for sectionals every year that I competed, but only went to state one year where I placed 6th. 

Erin decided while in high school that she wanted to be a high jumper.  She too was good at it.  In fact she qualified for state 3 years running.  Andrew loved coming to practice when I began coaching.  He too wanted to high jump.
Now that he's in high school I've had the opportunity to coach him.   Andrew has struggled all year with injuries and then with a mindset that he just couldn't shake.  Yesterday was our regional meet in Suring.  Andrew jumped a personal best of 5'6".  He was pretty excited as that's a new co-op team record.  Neither of us realized was that he placed 4th, which is good enough to move him on to the sectional meet this Thursday,  until the field official came over and told me.  When I told him, he had the biggest cheezer on his face and then hugged me.  What a sweet young man I have.

I'm really thankful that he finally overcame his mental block and is healthy enough to compete.  It was a good day. 

No comments: