Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Tree

When I was a little girl I had a favorite tree that I loved to climb.  It was a MacIntosh apple tree.  I remember my dad decided to "trim" this overgrown tree.  I watched as he began to cut limbs off of my tree and hoping beyond hope that he wouldn't cut the one limb I needed to climb that tree.  As he cut off my limb, I was standing in the livingroom watching out the window with tears streaming down my face.  How could he cut off my climbing limb?  I loved my apple tree.

Fast forward many years.  I now own the house that I grew up in.  Along with the house came the trees.  This tree has produced some wonderful fruit throughout the years...even without my climbing limb. 

These days I'm shocked that my tree is still standing.  I understand that trees get their nutrients through their bark.  This poor tree doesn't have much else except the bark.  Take a look at the following photos and give me your thoughts.  One day I plan on using my tree as a talk.  There's got to be a talk in there somewhere. 

 The inside is completely hollow.  When the wind blows it actually moves in the wind.
 The base of the tree doesn't seem to be strong enough to hold the weight of the branches.
 This view shows exactly how rotten it really is.  When you knock on it, you can hear nothing but hollow sounds.
 The woodpeckers have begun to "drill" their holes in it.
I took this one so you could see how it leans into the wind.  Notice the flag flying above.  This tree has shown me how leaning into the wind will keep you strong.  No matter what storms may come in life, if you're battered by those hammering on you or you're being eaten away by matters that occupy your mind with worry, you can still bear beautiful fruit. 

If you've got some thoughts on my tree, please post.  One day I will give a talk about this tree.

1 comment:

Sue said...

How wonderful that we have value long after our fancy strong branches are gone. Winds whisper through those spaces carved by time the wisdom of yesterdays.