Thursday, March 11, 2021

Mission Wrap-up

I'm not sure I can adequately express my feelings as we have completed our mission.  Here's my best try.
The people we met.  There have been so many that we got to know and love.  We started with the Bailies in the MTC and then the Nelsons as our district leaders.  Those I worked with on grounds were so special to me.  Elder Nelson was Pat's mentor and the love they had for one another was grand.  Such great friends waiting to happen.  We would never have met so many fantastic people had we not served a mission.  While I worked in the office, I was able to make friendships with the full-time employees.  I enjoyed that immensely.  But, working in the paint shop was my favorite job with some fantastic people.
Having the chance to have an outbound assignment in Hannibal was a treat.  We met more people that we would never have known had we not had that opportunity.  Even better was riding each week with Allan and Mary Howard.  Not only did we get to work with them in the carpentry and paint shops, but we were able to worship with them as well.  Then there were the chances to participate in Nauvoo on the Road with them.  Very special times.
Wearing the name of the Savior on my chest every single day for 21 months was wonderful.  It was difficult to take it off as it felt like it was protection.  I have a greater appreciation for Him and know what it means to stand as a witness.  I need to always remember that I owe everything I have to Him!
During our final five months of our service we were able to give tours which meant we finally did some searching in the site guide.  I found out what a covenant community Nauvoo was.  In those months I also found out that I was living in a Zion community within the Nauvoo Historic Sites Mission.  We were all of one heart, one mind and dwelt in righteousness and regardless of our monetary means, there were no spiritually poor among us.  That was the feeling I wanted to take home with me but knew that I couldn't.  We live in the world with school and jobs and responsibilities that are of the world but necessary.  I will miss that feeling most of all.  We truly did serve with the best people in the loveliest place under the heavens.  I will always cherish those memories and feelings.
 

No comments: