Sunday, September 22, 2013

Nephi 8 - Lehi's Vision

Last week I had the opportunity to read, study and teach Nephi 8 which is Lehi's dream or vision.  As we read it as a family I had some great insights to help my husband with a problem he was having.  When I reread it again I gained even more.  Then, our seminary supervisor sent an email with more insights. 
Did you know that all the people in Lehi's vision were members of the church?  Even those in the great and spacious building.  This is a vision about those of us who have already been baptized.  As I thought about the different groups of people within that vision I discovered that this chapter is a  great self evaluator.  At this point in your life, which group do I fit in?  Am I holding to the rod or just walking the strait path without holding?  Am I getting lost in the mists of darkness?  Do I make my way to the tree and partake and then hang my head in shame or do I partake and feel God's love and glory in His goodness?
As I pondered the lesson prior to teaching it, I thought how I and my students can use this concept in our everyday lives.  This doesn't just apply to our spiritual lives but also to our academic, social, musical and athletic lives.  What a wonderful way to apply the scriptures to our lives. 
Next time you read Chapter 8, take a look at the way you can use it to evaluate some part of your life.  You will be amazed at how it was written for us today to help us in evaluating our lives.  Have fun!  I sure did.

No comments: