Friday, September 14, 2012

Volleyball Season

I've loved volleyball for a lot of years.  I played in high school and then in college I played intramural ball.  Just before I got married, I began playing in a league which I did for many, many years.  I loved it! 
When Erin was in 8th grade, I began coaching at the jr. high level.  I coached for four years and enjoyed it thoroughly.  I gave it up as I was missing my own girls' games because I was at the jr. high games.  That, and I looked at the upcoming girls and decided I didn't want to coach them. 

That's when I began officiating.  At first I only did a few games, but now I'm busy two or three afternoons each week for about five weeks.  I still get to watch the girls play but now I not only get paid to be there, but I don't have to go to practice and put up with all their drama or the parents.  Not all parents are a pain.  In fact, only a few were.

Volleyball has become a great way for me to save money for birthdays, Christmas and other fun stuff.  I don't use that money to pay bills.  I think everyone should have a way to earn some "fun money." 

This week I do my first varsity matches.  I'm not really excited about officiating at that level, but it will be good experience.  I much prefer working after school with the younger girls rather than the evenings with the more experienced ones.  Wish me luck.  I get to work with Chuckalicious!  (That was for you Erin.)

No comments: