Thursday, October 29, 2009

October 29th

October 29, 1993 is the day that my mom passed from this life to the next. It was a cool, blustery, memorable, emotional day that ended in a personal tragedy. I spent the day with her setting up the site for the Stake Women's Conference in Green Lake. She was so full of energy and I was the one who struggled to keep up with her. We did get everything finished before the sisters began to arrive.

On our way to Clintonville, she gave me a piece of information that I've shared with my family over and over concerning the law of chastity. I think it was her words of wisdom for her grandchildren. Then another interesting thing happened after we went to change our clothes for the evening festivities. She sat down and we talked for about 30 minutes. We talked about the temple specifically. Looking back it was an incredible time.

I'm really a dope as I never recognized the strength my mom possessed while she was here on earth. I am very flattered whenever someone tells me how much I remind them of her. That happened just last Saturday. I am ever thankful to the kind sister in our stake who remembers my mom. She told me how beautiful my mother was. (For any of you who have lost a parent, you know what I'm talking about.) At that moment I said thank you and didn't think much more about it...until Sunday evening.

Today I look back at the past 16 years and wonder where the time went and how much "things" have changed. We had just gotten a new microwave and our VCR wasn't very old. There were no cell phones. We had a computer, but internet was something I'd never heard of. My youngest child is older than my oldest was at that time. There were 17 grandchildren and now there are 25 plus 9 great-grandchildren with more on the way.

Today I honor the memory of my mom who taught me so very much about life and responsibility. I only wish I'd told her how much I loved her when I had the chance. I know she knew, but I should've voiced it when the spirit prompted me to do it.

As I'm feeling very nostalgic about my mom's life, I realize that life changes and we move on. I am ever thankful for the knowledge of an afterlife. That gives me more comfort than anything else ever could.

To end this post I will say that for 16 years October 29th was my mom's birth into immortality. Today something wonderful happened. My friend Sue got word that she doesn't have cancer. It couldn't have come on a better day for me. I can cry for joy instead of crying because I miss my dear mother. I think we call that a Tender Mercy.

3 comments:

Sue said...

I am so touched by this Heidi..... and so blessed to have a friend to share both the good and bad times with. lots of love,

Sue

BrandonandJeana said...

Thanks for sharing Heidi, you're awesome! I remember going trick or treating to your mom and dad's, now your, house. I don't remember much, but I do remember that.

Stacy Stoddard said...

thanks for sharing that. there aren't many days i remember vividly of my childhood, but that is one day I do remember. I was babysitting for you that night when Hank came home and said the had to go to Women's conference. and then i think Sue or tina came to be with the kids when it was getting really late and my mom told me what happen when I got home.

It is awesome you were able to spend those last moments with her talking about the things that truely matter in life.

I know she blessed many lives.