Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Making Bows

Now that the new temple district homes are finished, we can get to our work orders.  I took care of everything Jared gave me so I asked him if I could have the one to paint the ox wagon.  He gave the go ahead.  When I looked at it, there were some of the bows that go over the top that needed to be replaced.  One was even duct taped together.  
I talked to my husband in the carpentry shop and he picked Allan Howard's brain to ask how they are made.  He gave his best advice but never made any.  We picked out some poplar wood as it is bendable.  Together we clamped it on a form.  It should be put in a steamer but we figured the Mississippi River was even better so get this wood wet and pliable.
Here you go!  Immersed in the river and left overnight. 
My Elder tied it to the dock and placed a brick on top so it would stay put.
It worked!  We made three this way and two others we just clamped and left to bend.  Here's something I never thought I would ever do in my entire life.  I'm learning so much and love it!

No comments: