Wednesday, June 5, 2019

An Answer

For years we have wondered if we should or should not have Tom receive the Melchizedek priesthood.  I think it would be wonderful yet I've always been leary of whether or not we should.  That priesthood power is nothing to take lightly.  Could Tom understand the responsibility that accompanies it?  Should he enter the temple and make further covenants that he really doesn't understand?  Or would he?  Who am I to make that determination?

Today we had the opportunity to teach Elder and Sister Oram.  Interestingly, they picked the subject of faith to teach us.  We finished teaching them the lesson we prepared and they began their lesson.  In a strange turn of events, the subject of Tom came up.  I expressed my feelings about whether or not Tom should enter the sacred walls of the temple to do more than baptisms.  

As we talked, Elder Oram suggested that we sit down with the temple president and have him talk to Tom and follow his suggestion.  I told them about a sister that I used to serve with who has some mental limitations.  Her mother told me how Mandy has blossomed since working in the temple.  

I feel it was an answer to a question I have pondered for years.  My new question is, "Am I holding Tom back by not allowing him access to greater blessings?"  Is my faith insufficient that I am not allowing him opportunities that might make a huge difference in his life both mentally and spiritually?  Perhaps I need to repent and let my son grow in a way that only God knows he can grow.
In 18 months we will sit down with President Wilson and ask these questions.

No comments: