Saturday, July 14, 2018

The Strait & Narrow Way

Last Saturday Pat and I headed north to do some work and then speak in Houghton.  On Monday we went to Marquette and rode our bicycles through the Preque Isle park.  When we finished riding we decided to walk this water break.  There was a plaque at the entrance to this trail that said to be careful when there are big waves as two young men drown after being swept off the break.  
The first half of this is concrete wide enough for two people to walk side by side.  Not wide enough for three.  It was an easy walk.  Large boulders were placed in the water next to the concrete.  Not sure why but I'm sure there's good reason.  Once you leave the concrete you start climbing over the boulders.  Not as easy as the concrete but not difficult.  They are fairly smooth and level.
 That lasted about half way to the lighthouse at the end.  The second half of the rocks were not smooth.  I had to pick my way around and over them.  At times I had to get down to steady myself before climbing to the next one.  At the end was a platform with some kind of light on it.  We climbed on top of it and took a rest in the shade before heading back.  Going back was much easier as the hardest part was first and we had already traversed it once.
As I was walking along this "path" I thought there must be a parable in this experience somewhere.  I thought how as we come into this world things are typically pretty easy.  Life doesn't really get harder until at least our teen years.  As we begin married life and parenting we face trials we didn't ever have before.  There are money issues and getting used to living with someone new.  There are differences in how we discipline.  Things in the middle part of my life were the most difficult.  In these places I was able to navigate but it would have been so much easier if I had a handhold.  Now as I have raised my children and don't have debts, things in my life are much easier.  I have all this wisdom that I've gained through the years.  I'm hoping the end half of my life is easier than that middle part just as this path was.

I thought about Lehi's dream.  It is great to stay on the path but it would be so much easier if we hold to the iron rod.  Holding to the word of God truly keeps us safer than just wandering through the rocks and hoping not to fall.  I feel blessed to have the scriptures to help me be safe. 

No comments: