Sunday, October 26, 2014

Life-changing Decisions

Just as our lives have gotten back to a normal pace and into our regular routine we get unwelcome news.  Pat's father has had some ear issues over the past year.  Just a few weeks ago it was discovered that he has grade 2 non-Hodgkins Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma.

 It is very treatable but there are other factors to consider. Pete is 80 years old and I don't know that he would tolerate chemo and radiation.  He could opt for just radiation which would knock this cancer down for one to three years but it would return. The other option is to do nothing which would give him about six months.

Pete also has the beginning of dementia. His older brother and sister both succumbed to this horrible disease. He  said he never wanted go through nor put his wife and family through Alzheimer's disease. Amazingly, Pete has been given a choice not to go through it.

We visited on Friday night with some of Pat's siblings.  We were told that Pete has decided that he isn't going to do anything.  He doesn't want to be sick.  He and Lolly have decided that they will take quality time over quantity.

It seems that all the sibling are supportive of this decision.  In fact, I believe that they all feel this is the right decision for their dad.

The best decisions aren't always the easy ones to make.  I pray for my father-in-law and Lolly to have strength and comfort.

I find it incredible that both Pat and I will lose our dads in such a short time.  Last night we had the evening session of stake conference. As my husband spoke about keeping our baptismal covenant I was very grateful with all who mourned with me as I went through the mourning process so recently.  I felt impressed that I need to do all I can to help Lolly through this process. It is my turn to mourn with those that mourn.


No comments: