Sunday, June 24, 2012

The "Other" Temple

 While in Independence, we took a tour of the Community of
Christ temple.  I think the spire is odd, but it's meant to look like a sea shell and you'll see that in the last picture I've got posted.
 A very kind and knowledgable lady named Pat gave us the tour.  There are some beautiful pieces of artwork within.  This Japanese garden is the first beautiful thing I saw.
 This etched glass doorway is representative of the sacred grove where Joseph Smith had a "divine manifestation."  It was very carefully worded.
 Look at the detail.  Can you see the chipmunk?  I found bees and ants as well.  It was very intricate and beautiful.
 This is the Tree of Life.  Three kinds of metals are used for the leaves, but I don't remember which kinds.  It's also much more impressive in person.
 This window is called "the field is white."  The swirling white pieces represent the sickle.  Up close you can see the small pieces of wheat.
This is looking up at the spire while sitting in the sancuary.  Now I can see the shell design.

This was a very interesting tour.  I learned a lot about their beliefs and just how very different they are than ours.  To think that in 1845, it was the same religion.  They began because they believed that the prophet should be a direct decendant of Joseph Smith.  Well, once their prophet no longer had sons, they had to do something else.  Their current prophet has no relation to the Smith family.  In fact, now they have women who serve on their council of the 12 apostles and a counselor in their first presidency is a woman.  They hold "world conference" every three years and no longer use the Book of Mormon as cannonized scripture.  Those are just a few of the differences.

I went to the museum after the tour and overheard the man who was running the place talking to another couple.  He was busy bashing the "Mormons."  He was telling this couple how we are so stuck in our ways and unwilling to bend.  He said we didn't change with the changing world.   It felt very dark and I felt the need to get out.  My husband came in and we stayed a bit longer, but I felt better once I was away from that man.  He was careful to ask if I was a visitor and what my religious affiliation was.   The Savior set up his church on this earth and didn't mean for it to change with the times.  I am so thankful to have that knowledge.  I wouldn't want to be a part of a religion that changes its beliefs because of what is politically correct or acceptable.  I am so thankful for the gift of the Holy Ghost to direct me and help me to know truths!

No comments: