Friday, September 16, 2011

Choices

My seminary students and I studied the Fall of Adam today.  We had a great time with treats and pretend laws.  The point was very clear that we have the right to choose.  That was what we fought for in the pre-existence...our agency.

What would it be like to be free to choose and not really have any choices?  There were some great ideas for object lessons.  You may eat anything you want from the table before you...except that the table is empty.  Way to go in keeping that law!  You may choose any treat you want from the table...but why didn't you choose the one I had hidden in my pocket?  You may take any treat from the table except that one that I don't want you to take.  I'll give you $20 for doing the "correct" thing all day.  Except no one knows what that correct thing is.  I certainly am thankful we don't have to live that way. 

Adam and Eve were given two commands in the garden.  They couldn't keep both.  They had to make a choice.  Thus, AGENCY!  A choice with a consequence.  What a grand plan.  I'm so thankful for it.

No comments: