Thursday, January 27, 2011

A squirrel in the basement


Isn't it cute? Not so cute when you find it in your house. This evening I was sitting in the basement with my husband watching TV. He said he saw a squirrel or a chipmunk or a large mouse. We waited and it came back out in the open from it's hiding place. It was looking for the cat food which was put up so Adam wouldn't dump it.

Andrew went upstairs to get Velcro our mighty hunter of a cat. I put her down almost next to the rodent and she finally saw it and sniffed it and walked away. What the heck? I guess if she doesn't find the critter and hunt it down she doesn't want anything to do with it.

Since it was sitting so still, I snuck up behind it with an ice cream bucket and put it over the squirrel. I wasn't on an even spot and it got out. I put some cat food on the floor and waited next to it. It came out in just a few moments and started munching on the cat food. I leaned down and put the bucket over the squirrel. Erin brought me a piece of cardboard and I slid it under the bucket and tipped it right side up.

Everyone got to have a peek at the furry little guy before I banished him or her to the cold and snow outside. I'm sure it is now living in our woodshed. The question is, Did the cat bring it in or did it find it's way in through the cat door all on its own? I guess only time will tell.

1 comment:

Mont and Dawna said...

This is too funny. Also, In my opinion, Waayyyy cuter, less creeper/dirty, than a mouse in the house.