Tuesday, January 11, 2011

1-11-11

January 11, 2011 marks 28 years since my sweetheart and I got married. Can you believe it's been that long? I can. Mortgages, babies, orthodontia, medical bills, car payments, family vacations, camping trips, gardening, remodeling, job change, births, deaths, many callings, grandchildren, temple trips, a missionary, a wedding, planting, harvesting, happy news, stress, struggle and lots and lots of LOVE. I don't think all those things could happen in less time.
We are no longer that young couple with the little children. We are now middle-aged grandparents. In fact, I can probably safely say that more than half my life is behind me. Of course if I live to be 100+, then not so.

Life is a great teacher. Sometimes things were difficult for us, especially financially. But, those struggles brought us closer as a couple. We can now enjoy a weekend away and not have to worry about how to pay for it or who is going to take care of the children. Our baby is 15! I think the key is to learn from life and not let it beat you down. I believe I've taken each experience in our marriage and learned something positive. The negative attitude can go out with the trash.

My big surprise was that in getting married, I thought I knew who my husband was. I saw this handsome young man and knew so much about him and loved him despite himself. I saw he had potential to become someone even greater. I never recognized that he would turn out to be someone as wonderful as he is. He's a marvelous provider, father and husband. His love for me is boundless. But, his love for others is also unending. He has a compassion that makes me realize that I've got much to learn. He doesn't judge people, he feels pity for their mistakes and wants to help them become better. I knew that he would serve our Heavenly Father is positions of leadership. I never dreamed he would one day lead the stake. I've had a few different times when I've watched him give a talk and seen the mantle upon him. Each of those times I've sat in awe as I recognized that that spiritual giant of a man is my sweetheart. He, of course, would probably disagree with my estimation.

I am blessed beyond measure to have the eternal companion that I've got. Twenty-eight years is such a short time compared to eternity, but then it has been a wonderful learning experience. I only hope for another 28!

3 comments:

Mont and Dawna said...

Happy Anniversaire! Great day for an anniversary for sure. I'm also sure it can safely be said that you have many of the same wonderful qualities you showered Pat with! YOu are a great couple! I hope today is an amazing day for the two of you and that another great year is yours!

Sue said...

Of course I cried when I read this. Because this describes a wonderful marriage and how they grew to be such awesome leaders and friends to all in our stake and beyond. I have been blessed so much by your friendship and so am glad to wish you Happy Anniversary today!

Luana said...

Happy Anniversary and congrats on a wonderful life together. I am sure he would say the same great things about you!