Thursday, April 1, 2010

Really? A cow?

Since my last post was a bit emotional, I thought I could make a few people giggle with this one. Our first track meet was on Tuesday in Wild Rose. A windy day for a meet, but warm temperatures for March. I was excited for the kids who I knew would do well and excited for those who did really well and I didn't know how they would perform. All in all, a pretty good meet.

On our way home, we were about 5 miles south of Marion when Todd says, "A deer. No a cow!" Jean slams on the brakes and tries to swerve around this heifer that is standing on the center line facing us. It is almost totally white, so it was a little difficult to see in the white lights. Just as Jean is swerving around the critter, it turns right into the bus. We hear a thump, thump and the beast is down. We stop and the thing gets up. Can you believe it? I get off the bus and there is only a cracked lens cover of the yellow marker light. It actually hit a big iron piece that holds the "arm" in place on the front of the bus. What a stroke of luck. How is it possible to hit a cow and not have a ton of damage to your vehicle? Imagine if a car would've hit that beast. YIKES!!!

Hopefully the rest of our meets will have the most excitement on the track and not on the ride home.

No comments: