Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Missionary Parent


When Sammi decided to serve a mission, I told her not to worry where the money would come from. Somehow the Lord would provide. I looked at my budget and knew it had to come from there, but didn't know exactly how. My dad generously donated a large sum of money to help support her but we still needed to come up with our portion. I can tell you that the Lord does provide. I've been able to deduct the amount needed each month from our income without us even feeling it. That is amazing! I know if I sat down and did the math, there is no way that it would come out. The Lord truly blesses those that serve Him.

Since I've never had a child serve a mission away from home before, I wasn't sure what to expect. I've read lots of letters from missionaries and pretty much they're all the same so I expected my daughter's letters to be very similar. Perhaps because she's very expressive or maybe because she's female, her letters are very different in many ways from those I've read from Elders.

Sammi is very outgoing and friendly. Those attributes can only help her in her efforts to share the gospel. I had an interesting experience just after getting on the airplane following us dropping her off at the MTC. The Spirit of the Lord washed over me and let me know that Sammi would be watched over and kept safe as she served the Lord. That wasn't a fear I had, but our Heavenly Father must know that moms especially need to know that their children are safe.

Sammi sent a letter home yesterday which showed the tender mercies sent from above in keeping her safe. I testify that the Lord keeps his promises. If you'd like to read her letters, any of them, they are posted on her missionary blog which is sisterpleshek.blogspot.com

No comments: