Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Heart Health

I had an interesting experience over the past week. I began having some chest discomfort about last Wednesday. Nothing that I would call pain. By Friday I had actual pain that shot up my neck and down my shoulders. This causes me some stress. I read about heart attack symptoms in women, which by the way are very different than in men. Then I consider my family history in this area and I'm really not doing so great. I'm taking everything very easy and not over-exerting in any way. At some points I think, "I'm going in to have this looked at." Then I'd feel great and not do it.

By Monday afternoon, I'd had enough. I made the decision to go get checked out. My husband takes me to the ER and I assure them that I'm not a hypocondriac, but that with my family history I'd prefer to have this checked out. My own doctor comes over to the hospital and agrees with my decision. By the way, not one chest pain or any discomfort the entire time I was there. By morning I've had 3 EKGs and 3 blood draws checking for the enzyme that shows if you've had a heart attack. Nothing. That's good news.

On Tuesday morning my husband, against doctor's advice, drives me (no ambulance ride for me) to the hospital in Green Bay. I'm having a cardiac cath done. That's the procedure where they put the scope up through the femoral artery and look inside your heart. By 4pm I'm finally on my way to have this test. I'm told it is the BEST test for actually knowing what's going on inside the major arteries of your heart. The results? I'm clean as a whistle!!!! I can't even explain how good that feels to know that I have no heart disease.

So where's the discomfort coming from? I don't even care. Probably some acid reflux. At least that's what Dr. Hiltgen and my dad both say. I can deal with that. More good news, my cholesterol is down 30 points since it was last tested. My LDLs are only 2 points higher than the doctor would like them.

Other than the fact that my groin is very tender and sore from the site of the cath., I'm doing great! As soon as I'm healed, I'm ready to get back to my work-out regimine to shed some excess pounds. I love life!!!

3 comments:

Luana said...

Glad you are okay Heidi!

DJ said...

I'm so glad it wasn't anything major. Such a scary thing to even think about....way to go on taking the necessary precautions anyway. I hope you do get feeling better and that the discomfort does not return!

Sue said...

I am so glad you are okay!!!! You are such a bundle of energy and doing so many positive things all the time we really cannot have you feeling down! I am sure your family is very relieved too!