Thursday, March 21, 2024

A New Bathroom

Many years ago my dad removed the two windows out of the north bedroom and had only one installed as he was going to make that room into a bathroom.  I'm glad he didn't because we needed it a lot over the 20 years we've lived here.  
Pat has mentioned it many times over the years that he wanted an upstairs bathroom.  
With Erin getting married and moving out, we moved Tom into the southwest room and began demolition just into the new year.
Lathe and plaster wasn't as bad to remove as we thought it would be.  He had one way to remove it and I had another and my way worked better with less dust.
Once the three walls we removed, Pat framed up some new walls.  The fourth wall was fairly new with sheetrock so we just left it intact.
The water lines for the vanity run up and over the ceiling.
The progress was slow due to it being basketball season.  There were days when nothing happened.
The shower was the first thing to be installed.  It started to look like it might become a bathroom.  We talked about having a shower with a seat as we are both now over the 60 year mark.  I decided against it since if I ever need a chair in my shower I will not be using an upstairs bedroom.
Then the sheetrock.  Guess who got to do all the mudding, sanding and ultimately the fun part, the painting. 
A new window was installed.
The north wall did not come down but had some roughness to it.  I bought some light weight mud and texturized it.  I love how it turned out!  I painted the north wall "pine mist" and the other walls "lemonade".
The false ceiling was the next step.
Finally the new flooring pulled it all together. 
The toilet was installed and then the double sink vanity.
The shower doors went on after I finished my caulking and painting.  
We bought that little wooden "chest" at an FM auction while we served as missionaries in Nauvoo.  It is the perfect size for towels and washclothes.
The last thing was to buy a blind to put inside the window.  It pulls up and pushes down which I really love.  There is now a giant full length mirror next to the window.  
A few more photos printed on canvas will arrive next week and I also have two "Nauvoo" windows that will go up and then it will be finished.  I never knew I would love having a bathroom across the hall from my bedroom.  With doing all the work ourselves, we figured about $5000 for the project.
 

No comments: