Thursday, April 6, 2023

Coach for a Day

Chad and Tracy Thorne resigned as coaches for the Gresham Bowler track program as he got an advancement at work and his schedule wouldn't allow him to continue coaching.  Jeff DePerry cornered me at a basketball game to try to get me to go back to coaching.  Then Jeff Zobeck texted to say that DePerry had had a conversation with me and thought I might be interested.  I am not.  
I still love the sport immensely and don't want it to fail.  If I had to get back into it I would have just to save the program but I'm so happy that I didn't have to.  
Heidi Cerveny took the job and asked for a little guidance so I went to a few practices.  She makes the practices fun as she was conditioning the athletes.  Then she asked if I would accompany the team to their first indoor meet as she had a mandatory meeting she could not get out of.
I attended a few more practices and then went with the team to the Wausau West Early Bird meet.  A lot of teams in attendance and most of them were big schools.  There were only four division 4 schools.
I knew the kids from Gresham or at least I knew who they were by sight and they knew that I was Cami's grandma so that helped.  I met the Bowler athletes and the only problem I encountered was which twin was Jackson and which was Kellen.  
I had a great time getting to know the athletes and watching them compete.  I still love going to a meet.  I work several during the spring sports season and cheer on those that I know.
DePerry was right when he said he had a coach from Bowler but not one that he wanted as a head coach.  This woman really didn't get involved with the athletes. I was more involved and I was only there for one day!
I enjoyed being coach for a day and watching these kids compete!
I connected with Heidi the following day and we chatted about what I observed.  I look forward to working a few meets in the next month where I can watch these athletes perform again!
 

No comments: