Thursday, August 12, 2021

Hurt & Misconception

When we returned home from our mission we received the assignment to minister to some people we have never met.  With the busyness of life, we didn't reach out immediately as we wanted to meet them in person.  We were busy speaking in many different units and then when we were in Gresham, they were on Zoom.  We finally met and spoke briefly.

We wanted to get to know these people so we invited them into our home for a meal following Sunday services.  They are delightful people who have had some struggles.  Especially her.  It broke my heart to hear of some of those struggles with people.  They seemed to be at a brick wall in attempting to get prepared for the temple and we were determined to do all we could to help them attain that goal.
A few weeks ago we attended their new unit to check on them and got a very cold reception.  What happened?  What did we do?  Pat wrote them a letter and apologized if we did anything to offend.  We thought we were creating a new friendship.

A letter came in return full of "their side of the story".  There was more than one side?  I thought we had a delightful time.  Apparently I am a horrible person.  I invite people into my home to insult them and treat them with hostility.  I didn't know this about myself.  I "said" a lot of things that neither Pat nor I heard come out of my mouth.  Pat said he didn't need to read the letter but that it should be forwarded to our stake president.  

I will admit that I was taken aback.   I recognize that it is the adversary who wants to disturb.  I won't let him but I was hurt.  I shared some of what was said with my daughter and she was as shocked as I.  I really needed a hug and thought immediately of my friend Jolene who is serving a mission in Nauvoo.  She offered the love I needed without even knowing anything.  The next day, I received a text from Sister Rizley from the mission.  Again, just what I needed.  It was a testimony to me that our Heavenly Father knows us and cares.  He sent these beautiful women into my life when I needed them. 

We together, close that chapter of our lives and move on in faith.  Life isn't always what we expect but I learn from those experiences.  I learned that I don't always have to be strong because I have eternal friends who will always have my back no matter what.
 

No comments: