Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Difficult Things

I had a seminary lesson this week and it was about plural marriage (polygamy).  Last time I taught Church History I don't believe we studied this concept.  I spent quite a lot of time studying over the weekend so I could understand this concept better.

I thought about how I would respond to this if I lived at that time and was asked to allow my husband to take an additional wife/wives.  I certainly responded as any woman would, with absolute repulsion. As I talked about this concept with my students, I came to understand that the Lord never makes things easy for us.  He expects us to make decisions that are difficult.  I am very thankful for the Spirit that bore witness to me of this concept of doing hard things.

Each of us will be asked of the Lord to do hard things.  I thought about Andrew going on a mission. He was very nervous and homesick in the beginning and it was very hard for him.  It was a hard thing!  When I knew I was going to be called as the Relief Society president, I cried.  I did NOT want to serve in that capacity.  It was only because the Spirit prepared me that I was able to accept.  I did NOT want to serve as a stake missionary.  It took me a whole week to accept that call.  I did NOT want to teach seminary.  I didn't think I could do it but then again, the Spirit spoke to me four years before I was called to let me know that one day it would be my opportunity.  What was the result of those callings?  I LOVED being a stake missionary.  I learned to LOVE the sisters in my ward.  I LOVE teaching seminary and being in the scriptures every day more than just reading.

The Lord does ask us to do hard things.  Perhaps not to be in a plural marriage, but still there are things that may not be hard for me that are very difficult for you and vice versa.  I am grateful that I have gotten through the hard things.  I am thankful for the opportunity and responsibility to get on my knees and find out the Lord's will for me.

What's your hard thing?

No comments: