Thursday, August 21, 2014

My Daddy's Story

 On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 my father was diagnosed with glioblastoma which is a very aggressive type of brain cancer.  I cared for him and took him to many doctor appointments since April where he complained of his head feeling "foggy" and a general feeling of "unwell." 
During the week of August 3rd - 9th we had a wonderful time.  Even though he was a bit tired, we set up a lunch date with several of his friends.  We had a picnic at the ski hill for Brett's birthday, a ward picnic and a picnic at the mill with his employees and friends.  He thought about riding his motorcycle to the mill.  I talked him out of it.  It was an absolutely wonderful week!  On that Saturday I took him to Lakewood to spend the afternoon with long-time friends Jim and Cheryl.  We had a good time and he got to ride in his convertible.
 On Friday, the 8th we had an appointment called a chemo teach.  It was to inform us of how to handle the chemo pills and what precautions to take with not only the pills but any bodily fluids as well.  He was very fatigued during that appointment.  I noticed his balance was just a bit off as well.
 I am so grateful for the opportunity to have had him in my home.  He came to church with me on the 10th.  I had the distinct feel that he would not be in church with me ever again.  This would be his last time.  By Monday he was headed in a downward direction.
 Tuesday was the first radiation treatment.  He did well but was very fatigued and slow moving.  By evening he had fallen twice so we did what we could to make things easier for him.  Susie and I spent the night and we discussed what we could/should do.  By Wednesday morning we both doubted we could get him to treatment.  He couldn't stand under his own power and could barely sit up alone.  Heartbreaking is the only way to describe my feelings. We met with the Radiology oncologist following his treatment and determined hospitalization was the next step.
 A week in the hospital.  Lots of family took turns sitting with him.  He had a good evening on Thursday.  It was truly a tender mercy sent from our Heavenly Father.  By Friday he was very agitated and unable to have the radiation treatment.  We, as a family, had already decided that we didn't want anymore treatments.  By Monday morning the health care professionals agreed with us.  Tuesday, the 19th, all was finally in place for him to be moved to Birch Hill Health Care facility.
In the end, we are blessed to know of the plan of salvation.  We pray that this struggle will go quickly and he will go back to be with my mom once again.  He has lived a wonderful, active life.  He is the most generous and kind man I have ever known.  That isn't just my thought.  Many have benefitted from his kindness and generosity.  He loves us all deeply and unconditionally even though he doesn't always say it.

I thought about what to say to him.  This is what I would say.  I'm sure I couldn't do it without tears.  "If I could choose who I wanted to be my daddy, I would choose you.  You have taught me about service, love and kindness.  I am forever grateful that I am blessed to be your daughter."

1 comment:

Luana said...

Heidi that was beautiful. Love to all of you, and I too hope your dad can join your mom real soon. That is when his party will start! :-)