Monday, July 22, 2013

City Beautiful

 Last week Pat, Tom and I packed up the car and went to Nauvoo for a couple of days.  I wish Andrew could have come along.  He wanted to work and earn some money so stayed behind.
The bagpipe band does a parade down Mulholland street during the day and Tom needed to see them.  So, we made our way into town and listened to them play.
He had to have a photo taken with them.  They asked him to stand at attention and this is what we got. 
In the evening we went to the pageant.  Prior to the show beginning there are lots of games and things to do.  Tom, once again, wanted to see the bagpipers.

 This brother came up to Tom and asked if he wanted to hold his pipes.  He insisted I take a picture of Tom holding his pipes. 
 He and I talked for a while and I found out the history of his bagpipes.  Needless to say, he doesn't let just anyone hold his pipes.  He has them insured for $20,000!  YIKES!  He asked Tom if he wanted to hold them.  Turns out he was a major Special Olympics volunteer.
 Just a few shots from the show.  It is a wonderful show that tells very specifically what the Book of Mormon is and what temples are for.  It outlines the Plan of Salvation as well. 
 I missed being in the pageant, but then thought about all those wonderful people who did the show with us and really just wished to be with them in this sacred city.
It was a short visit.  Only part of three days.  Two trips to the temple were included which I loved.  Grandpa's for breakfast was a must and the Turtle Tails at the fudge shop somehow made their way home with us. 
Can't wait to go back next year.  We already have our house reserved!

2 comments:

Nicky Kaye said...

Gah!!! I loved seeing your pictures!!!! Nauvoo is such a special place!!

Megan said...

Reserving a house for next year? That sounds fancy. Just reading this made me want to visit for that brief amount of time as well. Because normally Nauvoo only gets one day from me when I'm in Illinois. Is it sad that I've never seen the new pageant? The old one is memorized and loved and I think I might not be as open minded as I should if I see the new one. :)