Friday, October 14, 2011

Wyoming and Yellowstone

 I've been through Wyoming a bunch of times and never saw anything really beautiful until we went through this time.  Some of this scenery was really gorgeous.  Photos can never capture the true beauty.
 The leaves were beginning to change color.  Amid all the pine trees, there were spots of yellow leaves. 
 I liked this "arch" in the rock.
 I believe this is Lake Yellowstone.  The sun was shining so brightly that I had a hard time getting the water very clearly as it was glistening so brightly.
 I can't remember without looking at the map.  But this was some geyser place along the lake.  We missed Old Faithful by only a few minutes.  Actually we did see it above the tree tops.
 This was one of two elk cows just walking along the side of the road.  They were so close I could almost reach out and touch them.  Not that they would've let me.
 Here's the reason we missed Old Faithful.  See the Speed Limit sign?  Well, we were sitting still.  Once the bison were shooed off the road by the park ranger, the cars started moving.  All except for the doofus in front of us.  He had to stop and take photos until they came back on the roadway again. 
 While we waited I watched these two "bucking" for position.  As soon as I turned the camera to video, they stopped.  Of course.
There were so many bison just hanging around minding their own business.  It really was kind of funny, as I've never been in a position like this before.  Pat and I decided that Yellowstone is a destination and not a place to just drive through.  At least we learned that.  We also decided that it is a total tourist trap.  You better have a LOT of cash if you're going to be spending money there.  When we were in the U.P. this summer, I bought a pair of earrings at a mine in Houghton.  They were $15.  In Yellowstone the same pair of earrings was $25!  I thought $15 was a lot.

1 comment:

Hoffman Family said...

I love yellowstone. Went there a lot growing up.