Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sacrifice

On Sunday in our gospel essentials class we talked about sacrifice.  I asked a question that perhaps wasn't quite answered the way I wanted.  I explained that when we did the City of Joseph, the pageant presidency and directors spoke of our "great sacrifice" to be there.  It never felt like sacrifice.  Yes, my husband used his vacation and we spent quite a good deal of money, but it still was so enjoyable that it didn't feel like I was giving up anything.  Quite the contrary.  What I gave up monetarily and in my time was brought back 100 fold.

So what exactly is sacrifice?  One answer was that giving anything to build up the kingdom of God can be considered a sacrifice.  I believe that, yet always felt that it needs to "hurt" a little to be a real sacrifice. 

I had a conversation today that made me rethink my thoughts.  Sacrifice isn't just for building up the kingdom.  Sometimes we give up something we enjoy or something comfortable because circumstances dictate doing so.  It may not be something we want to change. 

Changes in our lives help us to grow, but that doesn't mean that they're welcome or even wanted.  Thinking about a change in circumstance because of certain situations just makes me angry and frustrated.  Why is it that other people often dictate our sacrifices?    It isn't right.  It isn't fair.  The squeaking wheel gets the grease while the quiet one that just does its job is taken advantage of.  I know, life isn't fair and we can't control other's actions.

There is consolation in all of this.  There is ONE who paid the ultimate sacrifice so I have the right to complain and grumble.  I thank my Lord for that opportunity.  In that perspective, do I even sacrifice at all?

No comments: