Friday, February 11, 2011

Mom's Birthday

A happy birthday to my mom. She would have been 73 years old today. As I think of that now, 73 is not all that old so when she passed at 55 she was really young.I loved her dry sense of humor. It is very evident in some of her writings. I'm glad she had that talent and shared it as now my children get to know her through the things she wrote and I get to remember as I read them. Priceless treasures is exactly what they are.
She served in the stake Relief Society for several years before her death. This photo was one of a fashion show she and her presidency did. Here she's modeling her "ball gown." It still makes me laugh to think about her looking so regal with all those ridiculous balls attached to her gown. She ran that runway as though she were the queen!
She was Nana to 17 grandchildren upon her death. Eight more joined afterward. This is baby Tom. He so loved his Nana. She enjoyed him too. I won't say she had favorites for I don't think she did. But she did have a personal relationship with each grandchild that was such, that I as a parent thought each of my children took their turn being her favorite. I miss her interaction with those kids. I sometimes look at the great-grandchildren and think of the comments she would make about their personalities.
I loved watching her with my dad. Anyone who watched them could tell that they were totally in love. They were married for 35 years which was much too short of a time. This photo is a sample of the many I have in which they are almost always holding hands or touching in some way. Her coworker told me that she could "see" how much my parents loved one another. My dad would barely get in the door after work and she would be there to greet him with a kiss. If she were outside working in the garden or yard, he would find her and greet her with a kiss. My parents were always kissing in front of us. I'm thankful that they did because I have their great example of how I hope my marriage is turning out.
She gone now for 18 birthdays. Do we get to celebrate birthdays in the next life? If we do, Happy Birthday Mom!

No comments: